Wednesday, September 1, 2010

September begins with low temperature

The temperature got down to 40 last night! Wow!

John and I walked down to Nutrioso Creek this morning. Not as pretty as walking on the golf course, but I got a walk in! We went down the abandoned highway to New Mexico, which is now a residential road, if you ignore this sign that is!


I figured I had a "damn good reason" to walk there, LOL, my health. The pavement is almost gone, looks like a rough road to drive on!

We went to Pinetop this afternoon and on the way home we took the Fire escape road from Pinetop back to McNary. I got out to take some pix of some second growth oaks and slipped and fell on some rocks on the way back to the pickup. I'm getting too old to do stuff like that!! I'm pretty sore tonight! The reason I took the picture is to go with a story Roy told John about Z. George. They were hauling a load of firewood in their wagon when the single tree broke. George always carried a sharp axe and a draw knife in his wagon, the boys knew they weren't to touch them. George pulled out the tools and went to a grove of second growth oak, cut down a tree and fashioned a new single tree that was as strong and good looking as the original. In no time at all they were back on the road again. Roy explained to John that second growth oak is small around and straight, perfect for fashioning a new single tree! As you can see in the photo, the original oak was cut down and many small shoots came up from the root, thus the name second growth.

No comments: