Wednesday, August 25, 2010

There's a Nip in the Air Today

There is a fall feel in the air today, yeck!

John and I have been wanting to drive the old road to SJ and look at the green landscape and we haven't had time until today. The sun was shining when we set out, but by the time we got to the top of the hill, it was overcast and dark. Then a cold breeze came up. We went anyway, but the landscape was dark and the photos I took are blahish and don't look good, maybe Photoshop can perk them up a bit.


We spotted some winter fat by the roadside, we don't see it much anymore. It used to line the new road to SJ in the fall, but people started coming and harvesting it big time, filling huge bags with it and it's almost gone there. It's such a pretty plant. I'm not sure why it's called winter fat or what it's used for.


We spotted this group of horses and had to stop to take a look. Their coloring caught my eye, and one has a star on its nose! Another one looked like its mane was fake, it looked like plugs of hair were stuck in its neck.


We found the Queen's Table today! We've been sad because we thought it had fallen down. It was a landmark when we were kids and we always looked for it when we were traveling to RV. I think we saw it today because we were going down the road instead of up it, and the light was just right to show it up. It's kind of hidden behind a hill when you are going up the road to the south. I also spotted the Kings Table. John doesn't remember this one, so I'm not sure if he forgot or if it was one that I spotted and named myself when I was a kid.

2 comments:

Charles Wilhelm said...

Winterfat:

http://www.desertusa.com/mag00/nov/papr/wntrfat.html

http://extension.usu.edu/range/Woody/winterfat.htm

Interesting. I never heard of it until today.

Karen said...

Cool, thanks! I guess the people gathering it were using it for feed. We used to see huge bags of it being loaded into vehicles along the road. They have about wiped it out between RV and SJ! It also makes a cool addition to a vase of flowers.