Wednesday, June 23, 2010

There's Smoke in the Air

The air is smoky smelling and I see a haze all around us. Probably from the forest fire near Alpine. It was started by lightening on June 7th. The online report I read says, "the fire advanced in a northwesterly direction toward US Highway 191, crossing Foote Creek Trail (No. 76) where firefighters had been successfully holding the fire's progress for two days. Firefighters were forced off the trail during the fire's highest activity. Several spot fires were extinguished and firefighters began a burnout operation to contain any undetected spot fires. Wednesday's fire behavior included crowning in the tree tops, spotting, ground fire with flame lengths less than 4 feet, and smoldering in stumps and logs."

Highway 191 was closed late this afternoon. I thought with all the moisture we got this winter we wouldn't have to worry about fires this summer, guess I was wrong!

On the way home from the dump this morning I noticed the Coulter barn and the green fields around it looking pretty, so we rode back out this afternoon and I shot some photos of it. You need the wide angle view the eye sees to really appreciate it!

No comments: