Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Play Day at the Lake

John decided today that all work and no play makes John a dull boy, and asked us if we wanted to take the boat and picnic at the lake. We did! It was a great day to be outside, only a slight breeze and not too hot. We boated to an island that is usually a peninsula, ate lunch there, then explored the tiny island. There is usually land between the island and the shore in the background! We saw a lizard on the island, I wonder if he can swim if the water gets higher and his shrinking piece of real estate is all under water?

Then we continued on to the beginning of the lake. The lake is so full that we could go places that are usually land.

In the photo below you can see the roof over the excavated ruins at Rattlesnake Point. It's usually quite a distance from the water.

Jessie spent a lot of time watching the water go by under the boat. She's hanging on to the railing so she's not in danger of falling off.

John converted the boat motor to electric power and after sitting unused for a couple years the batteries weren't holding up well, so we headed back to the dock just in case they died. We got my kick boat out and played on it for a bit. It was a fun day! I had the first turn and as you can see, it needed more air in the pontoons! That's Jessie in the second photo, we didn't want her to get out too far and not be able to get back, so John tied a rope to the boat and he would pull her back when she got to the end of the rope. She thought that was great fun!

John tried rowing with his feet up to keep his pants dry, it didn't work and he ended up getting wet.
Jessie asked me today why I take pictures every day. I told her about doing the 365 challenge and then she asked me if I would still take a picture every day if I wasn't doing the challenge. I never have in the past, so I'm certain I wouldn't have this year either. I'm glad I'm doing the challenge, the photos have already been a great reminder of what was going on this year and will be fun to look at years from now!

No comments: