Thursday, June 24, 2010

Red Rock Lavender Farm

I've been wanting to visit the Lavender Farm ever since I first heard about it. They only have tours one week out of the year and I always find out about it too late to go. This year I remembered in time and we visited today. It's a cool place, the landscaping is beautiful and the lavender was in bloom or just starting to bloom, adding color to the green. Beautiful! They had a cooking demonstration and showed us how to use lavender to flavor food and gave us a plate with samples of several things, 3 different flavored chickens, a dip on a cracker, a lavender brownie and lavender lemonade to wash it all down. I liked everything. You could buy a picnic lunch, but you had to let them know ahead of time and I wasn't sure what day we were going, and it was expensive, so I didn't. I got a lavender plant called Provence, the culinary one, hopefully I can propagate it successfully and make more to plant next summer. I also got several little tins of different flavored herb and lavender mixes to try out. And I got a package of Concho Chili seeds. I'm wondering if I can plant some this year or if it's too late?


If you'd like to visit, tours will be now until the 3rd of July at 9, 11 and 1pm. You can find times and events on their site on the Internet, http://www.redrockfarms.com/. I'd go at a time when there isn't a tour and just go to the store. The tour was $5 and all we did was stand in the hot sun and listen to the owner tell us a bit about the history of the farm and the different kinds of lavender planted there and about all the neat places his insurance company won't let him take the tours anymore. :-(( I wanted to go see those places!

It was even smokier this morning than yesterday and the wind was blowing, not good for putting out forest fires! It wasn't very windy when we got to Concho, I wonder if the fire is making it's own weather? This is what it looked like towards St. Johns.

We got rain today! On the way home it rained on us and we even got a bit here in town. We could see lightning in the distance, which wasn't good. Come on rain, the forest fires need you, but no lightning to start more fires!

Here's the herb tins I got today and the cookbook. I just love the little tins!

No comments: