Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Mamie Creek

We ventured up to Mamie Creek this afternoon for a walk. The last time I walked here was on my unlucky Friday the 13th when I sprained my ankle! I was a bit uneasy and walked slowly and carefully until we were past the point where the sprain occurred. I'm not sure how many years ago it was, but it's been a long while. We were looking for the site of a lime kiln or smelter when I stepped on a rock and turned my ankle. One of the guys at work told John about the kiln and sort of where it was. We didn't spot it today, but we didn't walk the open places where it could be. This means another trip to search for it!!

The first picture was taken driving along the back side of Escudilla towards Mamie Creek.

This is an elk print we found on the highway at the start of our hike.

This area is supposed to be closed to motorized vehicles, but we found lots of 4 wheeler tracks on the trail!!

The area is wild and beautiful!



We were about at the point on the trail in the photo below when I sprained my ankle on our last visit, and a distance that had taken us about 15 minutes getting there, took over an hour going back! There was snow and ice on the water and John climbed down and got some to put on my ankle and that helped keep the initial damage down. We wrapped it up and I hobbled back to the truck. I was so glad to make it safely past this spot today!


The ground was covered with oak leaves.


When we got back to the road, we found fresh elk tracks that weren't there when we left! They probably followed us down the trail, keeping out of our sight! What a fun day, I always want to stay when I visit the forest!


I checked on my computer order today and Amazon has them in stock again, so mine should be coming soon, I can't wait!

No comments: